[PhDs] Unions

Jack Atherton lja at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Thu Mar 26 21:58:51 PDT 2020

In general it's a collective bargaining organization that fights for the
welfare and rights of the students, including things like wage increases.
Here's the website for UC Berkeley's chapter of UAW: https://uaw2865.org/

Looking at Wikipedia, it seems like the stage has been set for unions for
Academic Student Employees only very recently, in the last few years. UAW
is also behind NYU's new union.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduate_student_employee_unionization

Judging by the rhetoric "in the air" recently, one major area for
collective bargaining might be limiting graduate housing to 30% of a
graduate student's income, for example, or negotiating faster raises in the
income to keep up with the rising housing costs. We could also fight for
more oversight in making sure people aren't worked beyond their 20 hours
maximum per week, for another example.