[PhDs] Unions

Jack Atherton lja at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Thu Mar 26 21:39:05 PDT 2020

Hi PhDs,

I would send this to the grads listserve but I don’t know for sure which
faculty / staff have access to it. If someone knows better, feel free to
loop it in.

Has anyone heard mutterings of the grad student TA/RAs finally unionizing?
This might be a good moment in time to put pressure on the university while
they are in a hard place and when they might make some decisions which are
upsetting to many of the grad students. I know that at UC Berkeley it is
mandatory to be a member of the union, even if you are an undergraduate
just doing grading for a class (I was in that situation once). Maybe their
precedent or some other could be used as a model.

Let me know if you have any thoughts,
Jack