[PhDs] New Approach to Posters

Jack Atherton lja at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue Oct 22 14:28:54 PDT 2019

Hi CCRMA PhD students,

My mom recently sent me this video about redesigning the conference poster
template. I think it makes a lot of smart observations and decisions about
how poster sessions usually end up working. I'm going to try following its
advice the next time I make a poster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RwJbhkCA58

Essentially, you put the main finding of your paper in huge font in the
center. A small left column lets people read through the poster at their
own pace, and a small right column contains all the miscellaneous figures /
tables you might need in a more in-depth conversation. You also add a QR
code that links to your paper and the poster.

The creator of the video made a PPT template:
https://osf.io/ef53g/

And someone else made a LaTeX template (this is just the first one I found,
I bet there are several options if you google "Mike Morrison poster
template LaTeX"):
https://github.com/rafaelbailo/betterposter-latex-template

Hopefully if this design enrages you when you see it, you can understand
the reasoning behind it by watching the video. :)

Happy conferencing all,
Jack