[mamst] Capstoney!

Nette Worthey networth at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Thu Jan 25 12:33:50 PST 2024

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in getting this to you all! I sent your
questions to the faculty and hope to have some clarification for you soon.

So we're all in the loop, below are the notes I took during our lunch
session (but not the really excellent notes I took at the start that
were dumped by LibreOffice and my lack of attention to hitting ⌘S 😂😳).
Please don't be shy about asking further questions!

Cheers,

Nette

Capstone Questions

- Is it required?

See bulletin text: “MA/MST students can choose to pursue the capstone
project as part of their electives by enrolling either in...” at
https://bulletin.stanford.edu/programs/MUSIC-MA

Students request clarification of bulletin language)

- Does it have to be a single project, or can it be more like a portfolio?

NW confirm with faculty

- How many units?

- Retroactively identify units?

- Existing course project OK?

- 298 required as part, or not at all as long as 6 units done? Is there
a specific timing on when those units are taken? Do they have to be
CCRMA courses? If they aren’t, is there any type of requirement to hear
from the instructor of the course?

NW confirm with faculty

NW create form for submission

- Format?

Intentionally vague

- Required written documentation/thesis?

NW to confirm with faculty; what type of documentation?

- Presentation event required?

- Suggestion to make a Capstone gallery of some type to both celebrate
projects and help new students figure out what they might be able to do

- When are units

--
I am on campus Monday through Thursday (leaving at 2 on Thursdays), and may be available in person on Friday by special arrangement