Oman. "She wint away before iver we come." "Dalia

Clegg soles at donners.org
Thu Aug 20 14:49:19 PDT 2009

' like, maybe. I couldn't hardly put a name to it." "If it WAS anything
like rheumatism, my grandmother used to make a tea--" Ann Eliza began:
she had forgotten, in the warmth of the moment, that she had only come
as Evelina's messenger. At the mention of tea an expression of
uncontrollable repugnance passed over Mr. Ramy's face. "Oh, I guess I'm
getting on all right. I've just got a headache to-day." Ann Eliza's
courage dropped at the note of refusal in his voice. "I'm sorry," she
said gently. "My sister and me'd have been glad to do anything we could
for you." "Thank you kindly," said Mr. Ramy wearily; then, as she turned
to the door, he added with an effort: "Maybe I'll step round to-morrow."
"We'll be real glad," Ann Eliza repeated. Her eyes were fixed on a dusty
bronze clock in the window. She was unaware of looking at it at the
time, but long afterward she remembered that it represented a
Newfoundland dog with his paw on an open book. When she reached home
there was a purchaser in the shop, turning over hooks and eyes under
Evelina's absent-minded supervision. Ann Eliza passed hastily into the
back room, but in an instant she heard her sister at her side. "Quick! I
told her I was goin' to look for some smaller hooks--how is he?" Evelina
gasped. "He ain't been very well," said Ann Eliza slowly, her eyes on
Evelina's eager face; "but he says he'll be sure to be round to-morrow
night." "He will? Are you telling me the truth?" "Why, Evelina Bunner!"
"Oh, I don't care!" cried the younger recklessly, rushing back into the
shop. Ann Eliza stood burning with the shame of Evelina's self-exposure.
She was shocked that, even to her, Evelina should lay bare the nakedness
of her emotion; and she tried to