(no subject)

David Lowenfels dfl@alum.mit.edu
Mon, 2 May 2005 18:34:24 -0700

Hi Jennifer:
   I'm an MST alum, answering Hiroko's message. Well I haven't had a
full-time job yet since graduating, only contract work. But here's my
2 cents:
  It really depends on the job and the company. I think it is unfair
for a company to ask you to make the first offer, especially if you
are green. They should make an offer first, and you can say whether
it is too low. It's all about negotiating. Depending on the exact job
requirements, the salary could be anywhere from $60k-100k. Having a
master's degree should boost it up a notch though. If possible you
can also extrapolate a general starting place from previous hourly
salaries: $/hour * 40 hrs/week * 48 weeks/year. You could also look
for contacts in the same field who could tell you what they know
about starting salaries.
   Here's some advice an experienced friend gave me about negotiating
salary. There are generally four places where you can leverage for
compensation: base annual salary, annual bonus (depending on company
profits and supervisor's yearly review of your work), sign-on bonus
(for instance you may need a car, or have to relocate), and stock
options. If the base salary is not ideal, try and get more of the
other goodies.

Good luck!
-David