your CCRMA mailing list (fwd)

Kirstin Cummings kirstinc@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:14:43 -0700 (PDT)

fyi, if something you send doesn't make it to the mamst list, then this
might be the reason.  other times, the message will bounce to me to
"approve" for sending to the list  - reasons for that are usually that
mamst was bcc'd or that the recipient list is too long.  i don't know what
makes something spam, but thought you should know that your msg might not
get through if the subject line is PENIS ENLARGEMENT!!! or something to
that effect.

-kirstin

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 10 Sep 2003 12:09:44 -0700
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
To: kirstinc@ccrma.Stanford.EDU, gary@ccrma.Stanford.EDU,

I have changed the setup for all lists (after testing this on cmdist,
thanks Bill), they are now being prefiltered by spamassassin so that
emails flagged by spamassassin as spam will not reach the list at all.
For a little while I'll (sort of) monitor the diverted emails but
eventually they will be redirected to the proverbial bit bucket (*).

This should be completely transparent to users and administrators. The
only potential downside is that it is possible to have false positives,
that is, email that is not spam but is categorized as spam by the
software. Too bad. Point your collective fingers to users of Outlook
that don't have a clue and keep double clicking on those nice infected
attachments...

-- Fernando

(*) see this for "official" definition:
  http://www.clueless.com/jargon3.0.0/bit_bucket.html