Brain scanning for money?

John McCarty mccarty@stanford.edu
Wed, 04 Jun 2003 23:34:23 -0700

Here's a way to get paid for a summer road trip.  I bad I have schizophrenia.

-John

As part of a 12 site consortium to study schizophrenia with fMRI,
we are planning to begin by gathering fMRI calibration data at each
site using 5 normal human volunteers. Data from these scans will be
used to study inter- and intra-site variability. The volunteers will
travel to all sites and perform a series of sensory and cognitive
tasks during functional imaging. If the calibration process is
successful we will be able to pool data for a large group trial of
patients. We -Stanford- chair the calibration subgroup for the
fBIRN* consortium.

Thus, we're now looking for right-handed males between the ages of 18
and 40, who can spend July and August "on the road" traveling around the
United States, visiting 12 sites in 8 cities. They'll be paid up to
$4,800 for completing the study, which involves having serial MRI's done
(up to 30 MRI's). They need to be healthy; free of psychiatric illness;
be willing to have some alcohol and caffeine restrictions; not have
any MRI contra-indications; and be non-smokers.

If you are interested please contact gary@s-word.stanford.edu. Please
forward this note to others who might harbor a secret (or overt) desire
but are not on the listserver. Thanks!

-- gary