[LAC-19] A few things

Romain Michon rmichon at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri Nov 9 01:21:19 PST 2018

Hi everyone,

I haven't heard back from anyone on this:

*Keynote*

> First, as you know, we contacted Leslie Garcia to ask her to be the
> keynote speaker for LAC about three weeks ago. Since we didn't get any
> reply from her, we sent her another e-mail earlier this week using the same
> address and a different one, just to be sure. We still haven't heard back
> from her! This means that we need a backup plan... As a reminder, here's
> the original shortlist that we had:
>
> - Leslie Garcia (http://lessnullvoid.cc/content/) -- Chris believes that
> the Stanford Arts Institute could help us bring her on campus
> - Nancy Mauro-Flude (http://sister0.org/?whosthatgirl) -- Perhaps the
> Stanford Arts Institute could help us bring her as well (she lives in
> Singapore)
> - Pamela Z (http://www.pamelaz.com/cv.html) -- Local artist
> - Laetitia Sonami (http://sonami.net/bio/) -- Local artist
> - Marije Baalman (https://marijebaalman.eu/)
> - Natasha Barett (https://www.natashabarrett.org/)
>
> Should we try to contact Nancy Mauro-Flude? Her flight will be more
> expensive since she lives in Singapore. This also means that we'd have to
> ask the Stanford Art Institute again if they would be willing to give us
> some funding for her to come, etc. Any thoughts on that? Any other
> suggestions?

I think we need to take action now... Still no news from Leslie Garcia
despite the various rounds of e-mails that I sent her on different
addresses. Should we ask Nancy Mauro-Flude? Yes? No? I talked about this
situation to Yann, Albert Graef, etc. and here's a crazy (and may be
slightly conservative in this context) idea: what if..... Nando was the
keynote speaker (I'm sure he probably jumped on his seat reading this
haha)? All the people I asked think it's a good idea. :) I think it would
solve many problems. So unless someone wants to take the lead on this and
keep looking for another keynote speaker, I would advocate this solution.

Thoughts?

Romain