[LAC-19] LAC-19 Proposal

Wed Aug 1 12:02:34 PDT 2018

On 07/31/2018 08:56 AM, Romain Michon wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I drafted a short proposal describing our project of organizing LAC at
> CCRMA next Spring. You can find it in the LAC-19 git
> repo: https://cm-gitlab.stanford.edu/rmichon/LAC-19. I also attached the
> corresponding PDF with this e-mail, just in case. Any feedback would be
> greatly appreciated! I think we want to forward it ASAP to the lac-team
> mailing list so that we get the green light from everyone to get
> started! If you read the document, you'll see that we'd want to send the
> CfP in early September. Here are a few specific notes:
>
> - I put Franck Neumann as "paper chair". We haven't asked him yet if he
> agrees with this but he usually takes care of it and does a very good
> job. Any objection? Would someone at CCRMA want to take this role?

No objection, he has been very good in the past, hopefully he will agree
to contribute again. Unless someone @ ccrma steps forward.

> - I left the "Video Streaming" section blank so that Nando can fill it
> since I have no idea what you guys used last time. On that note, I
> briefly talked to Robin Gareus at IFC about this, and he said that the
> system that they used for LAC-12 doesn't seem to be supported anymore. I
> would personally vote for "selling our soul to the devil" and using a
> "mainstream" platform such as YouTube which would decrease the overall
> budget of the conference by at least $2000, but I know that this is a
> sensitive topic hehe ;).

Did Robin say what he would use these days? As you can imagine I would
not be happy to have a system that is not open. Ha ha, what a surprise.

We used a Linux workstation and streaming software running in our
servers. Worked just fine. But it was all set up by Robin and Joern (it
was used to record Classroom lectures for quite a while after LAC2012).

What is the mainstream platform you have in mind? Just YouTube? What
equipment is needed to operate the streaming system? What support is
needed from the CCRMA infrastructure? How much does it cost to avoid
paying for it with our information (color of our soul, etc) and/or with
all our audience absorbing beautifully targeted advertising? (ie:
picture a "please buy Windows 10, it is the best operating system there
is!" 10 second ad just before each paper session). I imagine all
questions could be answered by Dave?

> - I probably messed something up with the Ambisonics order of CCRMA
> stage and of the listening room, so someone should double check that.

----
This 100 seats modular space features a 64 speakers system allowing up
to seventh order
ambisonics. The CCRMA Listening Room (see Figure 4.5) features a 24
speakers system
allowing up to third order ambisonics.
----

(we cannot fit 100 there, I think, at most 80 for a fully packed
concert, about 45 for a "good experience" full 3d concert)

----
This 60 seat space features a 56.8 full 3d sound system that can render
up to 6th order Ambisonics sound. The CCRMA Listening Room (see Figure
4.5) features a 22.4 speaker system that can render up to 3rd order
Ambisonics (and has speakers under the floor)
----

> - I think it would be really nice if someone in Table 2.1 would
> designate himself as "web-coordinator" :). If our proposal gets
> accepted, we'll have to put a website together pretty quickly. This
> shouldn't be too much work since we could just reuse the template from
> previous years.

Stepping back.

> Of course, this proposal is just a draft (there are probably a few
> typos) and it is not set in stone, and everything can be
> changed/updated, etc.

Typos, etc:
"to attend to the conference" -> "attend the conference"?
"cheap flights and hotels" -> "cheap flights and insanely expensive lodging"

> Sorry for being a bit late on this, but I had to take care of a few
> (even more) urgent things the past few weeks. I'm now finally set at
> GRAME and I can start to get things done!

Cool,
-- Fernando