[Grads] Music 158/258D - Musical Acoustics, Tue/Thur 1:30-2:50pm

Mark Rau mrau at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue Nov 29 13:37:55 PST 2022

Howdy!

In the Winter quarter, I will be teaching a course at CCRMA on Musical
Acoustics (Music 158/258D
<https://explorecourses.stanford.edu/search?q=music+158&view=catalog&page=0&academicYear=&filter-term-Winter=on&collapse=&filter-coursestatus-Active=on>).
It will be taught at CCRMA on Tues/Thurs from 1:30-2:50.

The course will focus on the physical phenomena behind various musical
instruments. We will have some lab experiments making acoustic and
vibration measurements with instruments in Studio J. There will be some
light numerical and physical modeling so we can study how the acoustics
change, and also generate some sound. There will be an open-ended final
project expanding on knowledge learned in the lectures and homework.
Example project ideas include making measurements on an instrument of your
choosing, building a simple instrument, or developing numerical models.

The course is listed as Music 158 which is geared toward undergrads since
it has to be three units for the WAYS requirement. Music 258 is geared
toward grad students so it can have variable units.

Please talk to me if you have any questions! I hope this will be a really
fun class!

Best,
Mark Rau

[image: mork poster 2 (2).png]

*Official Blurb on Explore Courses*
The physics and acoustics of music and musical instruments. The basics of
sound propagation, reflection, and resonance and how this is perceived as
musical sound. The specific acoustical phenomena of wind, string, and
percussion instruments as well as the voice. There will be a lecture
portion as well as hands-on lab sections with different musical instruments.