[Grads] No CCRMA Colloquium This Week - Feedback Form and Grad Rep Nominations!

Barbara Nerness bnerness at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon May 30 14:22:31 PDT 2022

Dear CCRMA grads,

It's been a rough quarter and congrats for making it this far! I hope
everyone's transition to summer goes smoothly!

tl;dr
-------------
1. No colloquium this week!
2. Please fill out this FEEDBACK FORM [1] to nominate people for next
year's grad rep position BY FRIDAY JUNE 3RD, end of day!

3. Notes from faculty and grad students' meetings below. Please provide
your feedback [2] on diagnostic exams (required for CCRMA PhDs) - thank
you Sean for making this document!
-------------

1. We will not have a Town Hall at colloquium on Wednesday since I'm
sure everyone could use the time, but I'd still like to GATHER FEEDBACK
[1] on the state of things at CCRMA to assess this past year and what
issues need to be carried forward into next year.

2. In addition, my time as your graduate student representative has
sadly come to an end, and it's time to elect someone new! Please
nominate folks for the position (including yourself if you'd like) who
you think would be a good fit. Also let me know if you have any
questions about the position - I'd be happy to chat about it if you're
interested :)

Please fill out the form [1] & send in your nominations by Friday June
3rd, end of day. I will then send out an election form for the following
week.

3. Meeting updates

Notes from Grad Students' meeting with Jarek and Heather on Monday, May
23rd, 5:30pm
- Students expressed need for clarity on TA assignments, process, and
responsibilities during each course, since experiences vary greatly.
Lloyd presented and gathered feedback on a TA EXPECTATION FORM that
structures the conversation between a TA and professor before a class
begins, which will go into effect in the Fall for each Music course!
Thank you Lloyd for all your work on this!

- Heather presented a breakdown of the responsibilities for FELLOWSHIPS,
TASHIPS, RASHIPS, STIPENDS, hourly work, SERVICE, and VOLUNTEERING.
Discussion of 20 hour per week limit. If anyone has better notes on this
section, please add. I get the sense that further discussion is
necessary on this topic.

- Topic of DIAGNOSTIC EXAMS and their relevance for CCRMA PhDs was
introduced, but not discussed. Needs to be brought up at the next
opportunity. Please fill out this form [2] created by Sean to provide
your input!

Notes from Faculty meeting Tuesday, May 24th at 1pm
- Partial retirements: Tom Grey and Julius Smith

- Retirements: Fred Weldy, Debbie Barney, McDowell Kenley

- New appointments: Robin Sharp, Senior Lecturer; Jeff Zahos, Orchestral
Studies Program Administrator; Marisa Cheng, Graduate Student Services
Officer (starting August)

- Approved searches: Piano instructor, Trombone instructor, Director of
Keyboard Studies, Ethnomusicologist

- TA form to go into effect starting in Fall

- DEI committee: Carnival Festival for Black Art @ Stanford last week
was a success! Currently working on diversity mission statement, values,
and vision for our department (and the website).

Take care, and have a great summer, everyone!
Barbara

Links:
------
[1] https://forms.gle/rKkDhwf8Fmj8jW2R8