[Grads] [CCRMA] Following up on Wednesday's student-only meeting

Barbara Nerness bnerness at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri Feb 4 11:17:44 PST 2022

Dear CCRMA students:

Thank you to everyone who came on Wednesday evening to the student
meeting!! While it's been a tough quarter so far, I'm stoked that so
many showed up and shared your thoughts, and I'm inspired to work on
rebuilding community at CCRMA.

tl;dr

Here's the form [3] for gathering thoughts/testimony regarding professor
involvement, community rebuilding, course requirements, and colloquium.
Please FILL IT OUT BY END OF DAY FRIDAY FEB 11TH. I'll include your
feedback in a letter and present it to Chris the following week.

Longer meeting notes below.

Happy Frideee!

Barbara

<><><><><><>

MEETING NOTES - Student-Only Town Hall 02/02/2022

GMSF - Grad students from all music degrees (Composition, Musicology,
Ethnomusicology, CCRMA) meet once per quarter - if you're interested in
attending let me know!

DEI committee - submitted a letter to the deans requesting an
opportunity hire for a Black-identifying scholar/artist to join the
music faculty. Paul Phillips read it to the deans on Tuesday, and they
are asking us for recommendations for who to hire! If you have
suggestions, please let Mike know!

320a + b

	*

you have a clear schedule of when assignments are due, but no looking
forward
	*

Clear syllabus? Schedule?
	*

Homework corresponding to readings and vice versa?
	*

No slides?
	*

320a was okay because regularly scheduled homework
	*

Consistency with the use of programming languages between the 2 course

	*

Otherwise just give an overview of how the different ones work?
	*

Python and Matlab

General - lack of a syllabus

Colloquium Attendance -

	*

having students choose who they want to hear (google form on colloquium
attendance)
	*

Zoom makes it harder to attend
	*

Speaker can be virtual, people in person
	*

Advertise guest speakers to relevant classes
	*

Professor presence!!!!

	*

Profs don't come after first intro
	*

Ask Chris to check in with professors about why they're not attending
colloquia, events, etc

Social

	*

Digital events board? Board in building?
	*

Events board! - By classroom?
	*

Concerts and stuff?
	*

Email grads at ccrma.stanford.edu to reach MSTs and PhDs with events,
ideas, etc 	* More work space upstairs
 	* Talk to Matt and ask if there are more tables

conscious effort to create community at ccrma!

Course Requirements

	*

220B requirement for undergrads and phd not masters
	*

grad handbook publicly available online
	*

Previous years bulletin not readily available for students to access
	*

masters students have to look on bulletin

	*

Some took 220a for 3 units instead of 4

	*

Units don't align with workload (across Stanford)
	*

what flexibility we do have?

	*

Would be good to have list of possible replacements
	*

For example, 320A/B can be subbed with higher level courses like Music
422 or in EE dept

Write petition/letter to professors regarding current state of
community, involvement, and artistic exchange - Mike and Barbara

Call for CCRMA T-shirt design - Champ

CCRMA soccer jersey form

<><><><><><><>

On 2022-02-02 12:31, Barbara Nerness wrote:

> Hello CCRMA students:
>
> Just a reminder that tonight we'll have a student meeting, dinner, and social hang during CCRMA colloquium!
>
> Meet at 5:30PM in the CLASSROOM - we'll be on zoom if you want to tune into the first part remotely. Then we'll go upstairs with the patio doors open to eat food from Mediterranean Wraps.
>
> https://stanford.zoom.us/j/99865424435?pwd=czAxNkt2R01KVExBVFM2aEY4Z1FqUT09 [2]
>
> If you have any last-minute items to add to the agenda, you can do that here:
>
> https://forms.gle/Lceann1WJxSmaa9HA [1]
>
> Thanks and hope to see you there!
> Barbara, Marise, and colloq team
>
> On 2022-01-28 16:44, Barbara Nerness wrote:
>
>> Dear CCRMA students!
>>
>> It's been an uncertain time and I thought it would nice for us students (grad and undergrad) to have a chance to talk through any discussion points amongst ourselves (no faculty/staff) before the Town Hall at the end of the quarter. Marise also wanted to have a social event, so we are combining the two! And there will be foooood - DINNER FROM MEDITERRANEAN WRAPS! We will gather in the CLASSROOM at 5:30PM.
>>
>> I'm curious how things are going (academically, socially, and beyond) and what I can do to support you all as your graduate representative. I'd like the meeting to feel informal, but also want to make sure we get to everyone's topics. So, feel free to just show up - I'll ask for any agenda items at the beginning. Or, you can add your items to the agenda now via this form: https://forms.gle/Lceann1WJxSmaa9HA [1]
>>
>> See you there!
>> Barbara and colloquium team (Marise, Lloyd, Mike, Kunwoo)

Links:
------
[1] https://forms.gle/Lceann1WJxSmaa9HA
[2]