[CM] 22.4: Issues building with pulseaudio

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Sat Jun 11 10:13:26 PDT 2022

On 2022-06-11 09:29:15 (-0700), bil at ccrma.Stanford.EDU wrote:
> Choose one.  I test a ton of configurations (see tools/testsnd).

I see.
There seem to be none yet for --with-alsa, --with-jack or
--with-pulseaudio. It is not instantly obvious whether any of those are
tested implicitly (alsa seems to be the default though).

> I don't care what "scales well",

I was merely pointing out that building for several features in a
packaging context leads to several executables and I'm not sure if that
is the desired outcome or not - several executables for features
objectively do not scale well (e.g. what should they be named? will
downstreams use the same names? how are users on downstream
distributions made aware of this?).
Anyways, there is no need to get rude over this. Users of snd will care
and will ask questions to understand the projects intentions better (so
here we are).

> and I don't know what "CI" stands for.

CI - Continuous Integration (e.g. see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_integration#Run_tests_in_CI)

> You were probably getting alsa+jack before -- run snd --version.

```
snd --version
This is Snd version 22.3 of 23-Apr-22:
    s7: 10.4 (23-Apr-2022), Xen: 4.2
    Jack
    Sndlib 24.8 (5-Oct-21)
    CLM 6.19 (17-Nov-18)
    GSL 2.7.1
    fftw-3.3.10-sse2-avx
    Motif 2.3.8 X11R6
    OpenGL  (snd gl: 08-Mar-19)
    Xpm 3.4.11
    Ladspa: 1.1
    gmp: 6.2.1, mpfr: 4.1.0-p13, mpc: 1.2.1
    Compiled Apr 23 2022 08:14:22
    C: gcc 11.2
    Linux 5.17.14-hardened1-1-hardened x86_64
```

I guess the version output depends on what audio backend is currently
detected?
Either way, snd seems to link against both libasound.so and libjack.so,
so that is fine.
I will remove pulseaudio from the list of configure options for 22.4.

Closing I would like to add, that I am currently building twice to have
s7 and ruby support in the same snd package (see the build script here:
https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-community/blob/packages/snd/trunk/PKGBUILD).
Initially it was not clear to me that --with-s7 and --with-ruby are
mutually exclusive (the build system does not prevent the user from
supplying both). This is a similar problem to --with-alsa/--with-jack
and --with-pulseaudio I guess.

Best,
David

--