[CM] snd on s390x (probably a BigEndian issue)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Aug 17 01:01:28 PDT 2022

On 8/16/22 22:25, bil at ccrma.Stanford.EDU wrote:
> The error is hit in init_rootlet before the error_hook is set up,
> so it segfaults when it tries to call the error_hook.  The line
> number given in init_roolet is bogus, so I can't tell where it is.
> Actually a lot of stuff is messed up.  I guess we'll just have
> to disappoint the IBM mainframe guys.

so i ran the same test on another BigEndian architecture "ppc64", which
is not run by default on our CI.

it has the same issue (and both backtrace and mus-config.h are the same)

after that, i compiled snd for PowerPC (32bit, LittleEndian), and
*again* i got the same backtrace.
the mus-config.h is practically the same, except for SIZEOF_VOID_P which
now reads "4" (as is expected for a 32bit system).

the machine i tested on had a Power8 CPU (for both tests).

to conclude: it seems that 'snd' is broken on BigEndian.

>  Back in 1969 (was
> it really more than 50 years ago?) I wrote some code (I
> think it was Basic, maybe Fortran) on an IBM mainframe
> (probably a 360?) -- I vaguely remember the typewriter
> (was it a typewriter?) had round keys??

sweet.

gmasdr
IOhannes