[CM] Question for writing tutorials about S7 environments

Iain Duncan iainduncanlists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 07:26:10 PST 2021

Thanks Bill, that's helpful. So is the (with-let (rootlet) ...) idiom
something that is unique to S7 then? (or at least, with those functions?)
That has turned out to be really helpful in ensuring that I can separate
load time and run time in Max, even for definitions I want happening at top
level. I suppose this is somewhat similar to the way in pre ES6 javascript
one could make namespace-modules by "abusing" anonymous function scope.

I remember this came up a while back on this list (I think Christos was
discussing it?), have you any inclinations to make a more formal module
definition syntax/standard for S7? It might be helpful in terms of
documentation/adoption. I've heard good things in Lisp-internet-ramblings
about Gerbil's module system on top of Gambit. I wonder if that would be
worth checking out. (just thinking aloud here, not proposing!)

At any rate, now that I am over the hump of the nasty Max C SDK coding part
of Scheme for Max (I think! I hope!) I look forward to digging into the
Scheme side a lot more thoroughly. :-)
iain