[CM] Freeing up s7 instances & memory

Iain Duncan iainduncanlists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 20:48:06 PDT 2020

> I do hope Bil gets to merge this (or some other version of it) cause
> maintaining changes & merging the upstream.. ughh..

Presumably this wouldn't be too bad if you used Woody's git mirror and
rebased it over your own git branch? We used that approach at my old job
and it the nice thing is rebasing the moving master into your local branch
means the merge (and any conflicts) is always in the local branch and it's
easier to back out of. This may be old hat to you, but figured I'd mention
it case it isn't. :-)

We did
- cut feature branch, work away privately while master gets changed by
others
- when done, rebase updated master on to local branch, so your local
changes get replayed over the new master
- then merge local branch into master, which is really just cosmetic as
they are identical at that point

Git can be a pain sometimes, but man, it's good at merges compared to SVN.
Freaking magical.

iain