[CM] gtk in snd?

Kamen Nedev kamennedev at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 15:28:08 PDT 2020

Ah, yes, the GTK interface.

I remember having trouble with it on my Ubuntu Studio install (18.04).
Ubuntu Studio had inherited *buntu's infamous "floating sidebars",
which made Snd's controls mostly unusable. It also had a color scheme
that made most things in the GUI difficult to read. Or, well, that was
the .deb package from the Ubuntu repos.

So I remember at some point I decided to compile my own version of
Snd, if anything, just to be able to keep up with all the updates I
was reading about on this list. Compiling Snd is easy, and fun.

Then, still frustrated with the GTK interface, I tried compiling Snd
with a Motif interface. Well, guess what, I finally got a
lean-and-mean, effective GUI. Never been a fan of Motif, but on Snd,
it seems to be the sensible option.

So, no, I for one won't be missing the GTK interface.

Best,

K.

On 9/7/20, Orm Finnendahl <orm.finnendahl at selma.hfmdk-frankfurt.de> wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
>  no objections whatsoever, rather compassion ;-)
>
> --
> Orm
>
> Am Montag, den 07. September 2020 um 05:59:47 Uhr (-0700) schrieb
> bil at ccrma.Stanford.EDU:
>> Would anyone greatly object if I remove all gtk support
>> from Snd?  gtk3 was changing so much and so often that
>> I stopped trying to keep up.  gtk4 is turning out to be
>> a disaster.  It is a mostly new GUI toolkit based
>> on crap like XML files, and the drawing area handling
>> looks unusable to me, though I haven't dived into it
>> yet.
>>
>> I will support the Motif version indefinitely in any case.

(((o))) Kamen Nedev

Acoustic Mirror: http://acousticmirror.tumblr.com
self/noise: http://self-noise.tumblr.com
./mediateletipos))): http://mediateletipos.net