[CM] some questions re S7, real-time use, and memory allocation

Iain Duncan iainduncanlists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 15:21:21 PST 2020

Thanks Bill, that sounds promising on the malloc front then. I'll take a
look at the code.

What I'm imagining right now is two s4m objects, one in high priority
thread and one in the low, so that the majority of stuff is done in the low
and the high is only used for lightweight timing critical tasks. If this
doesn't pan out, I can always do the high priority thread stuff in Max or C
instead, but it would be nice to be able to use S7 if possible. I *think* I
should be able to keep the stuff in the high priority thread minimal enough
to keep a handle on the garbage collection side, but dealing first hand
with a garbage collector is new to me. (As in, I've done some soft
realtime in C, and I've done work in GC'd languages, but none of that was
in situations where I cared when the GC ran). If you (or anyone else) has
pointers on how to learn more about that sort of thing, or how to watch
when the GC runs, I'm all ears.

thanks
iain