[CM] What is the "normal" way to handle errors for side effect functions in Scheme?

Iain Duncan iainduncanlists at gmail.com
Sun May 17 12:11:43 PDT 2020

Hi folks, I'm hoping an experienced schemer can help me. I have a
collection of FFI functions that are called for their side effects (ie
writing to a table or buffer in Max). They can error out if, for example,
they are called with a non-existent table name. I know what they should do
in Max (post to the error log), but am not sure what the right thing is for
them to do in a Scheme API. Right now I have my pure side-effect functions
return Scheme nil when they are done. In Python, I would throw an
exception. If anyone can point me at how to implement this so that
experienced schemer's doing thing the API is garbage, that would be lovely.

thanks!
iain