[CM] Performance of S7

Massimiliano Gubinelli m.gubinelli at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 08:56:30 PST 2020

Dear Kjetil,

> On 31. Dec 2020, at 17:07, Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.matheussen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 4:51 PM Massimiliano Gubinelli
> <m.gubinelli at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> thanks, indeed it works for the small example. However the *real thing* still run as slow as before even with this replacement.
>>

> Sorry if you understand all the details about the various types of
> macros in s7, I don't, but are you sure you want to use "define-macro"
> for everything, and not "define-expansion"? "define-macro" can be
> extremely slow in s7 (it's not the same as "define-macro" in guile),
> and you use it very much.

Sorry I didn't replied before to your remark. I do not understand the difference, actually. I've tried to replace define-macro with define-expansion in the small example I posted on the list earlier but didn't make any difference. For what I see, even in the real program, the macro tm-define is expanded only once and the slowness come from the symbol lookup. But I will give another look at define-expand.

Thanks.

Best
Max