[CM] Performance of S7

bil at ccrma.Stanford.EDU bil at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Dec 30 06:34:40 PST 2020

Thanks very much for the kind words about s7, and the comparison of s7
and Guile 1.8.
I have wondered about real-world results -- I have my timing tests, and
the standard
benchmarks (which I think are not at all representative of actual code),
and in those contexts, I believe s7 is faster than Guile 1.8.  I looked
at some of the TeXmacs scheme code, and notice you use modules and
hygienic
macros.  The latter are not supported in s7, so I would expect the
psyntax.pp
implementation to be very slow.  I don't think 100,000 lines is a
problem --
s7test.scm has 104,000 lines, and runs in about a second, and I've
loaded
million line programs without problem.  Hash table lookups on symbols
should
be fast too, unless I've missed something.  Could you run TeXmacs under
callgrind and send me the results? -- something might jump out at me.
I downloaded TeXmacs, but I don't see the s7 code.