[CM] Release Announcement, Scheme-for-Max 0.1

Iain Duncan iainduncanlists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 11:48:09 PDT 2020

Thanks Bill, that's really nice to hear. I hear you on the "this will never
work", I've been waiting to hit some hard walls for months, and it hasn't
happened, to my immense relief! :-)

The whole business of gluing S7 to Max has actually worked way better than
I expected. To the point that I've been saying to Andy, "Why has no one
done this yet??" haha. The multi-threading hasn't thrown up any issues, and
has worked perfectly for having multiple objects in a patch (that bug I was
stuck on was unrelated, in a Max object actually,  and just reared it's
head in threaded code) And the simplicity of the FFI has been hugely
helpful, it has turned out to plug very well into Max's C SDK, which is all
old-school small-talk style object coding in C. I want others to be able to
hack on the C code itself too, and the difference in C readability between
S7 (and Guile) vs the others (Gambit, Racket, Chez, Chicken) was immense.
Even more importantly, the semantics of scheme map really, really well onto
Max. I had not originally thought of making runnable s-expressions as Max
messages, but it works like a hot damn. Doing something similar in
JavaScript would be a nightmare.

Overall, it's been a very fun project, and I think for some people it's
going to be a really nice way of working in Scheme while taking advantage
of things Max gives us out of the box. I'm really enjoying Rick's book and
plan on making sure all the examples can run on scheme-for-max eventually
too.

Thanks again for making this all possible, I'm very glad I chose to do it
in S7. :-)
iain