[CM] Midi microtuning in cm2

Taube, Heinrich K taube at illinois.edu
Sat Mar 11 05:27:23 PST 2017

Orm I can look for the CD but my last original hardcopy was stolen from my office several years ago :/ .. it might better to just provide links to updated materials on the web. We may need permission from the publisher for that, if you want i can look into it.. another possiblity would be to see if the publishers would be interested in a new edition (they certainly were at one point) and modernize the whole thing...

On the auto-generation , it is a good idea to remove that code. auto generation became the only possible solution for me given the multitude of machines and lisps it was running in -- I was one person trying to 'do it all' and still have my day job.  For all its opaqueness the autogenration tool worked quite well and I was not that concerned with replacing cltl  defconstants with defparameters, CM is still very light and fast.

At this point there are only two real implementations of ‘cm’ code:  one for S7 and one for Common Lisp. And while there is no reason that these two things need to share the same code base, it might be worthwhile to at least think about reorganzing all this code, moving to git, and perhaps even creating an overarching single code project that hosts active sources for CM and Grace (getting rid of cm2/cm3 numbering, calling the c++/s7 code Grace and the cm/commonlisp code Common Music). i am very heartended that people are still interested in using and hopefully developing this awesome code. The last 5 years has seen a huge reallocation of my time: in addition to my day job I’ve been establishing two new degree programs here — Music Tech (B.A.) and a soon-to-be-voted on Computer Sciece+Music (B.S. meta-degree), and started a company to try to moderinze how music theory is thought. The remainder of my time these days seems to be battling old age indignities and illness :) .
But things are actually settling down a bit now, and within a year I will probably know if the company will survive or not.  I would like to contribute and coudl  help out as long as Im not the 'driving force’ any more. (Personally Id vote for more support for spectral/microtonal  maniputaion and in-app notation, buts that’s just me)