[CM] s7: Whether to use WITH_GMP

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 03:58:36 PDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 9:05 PM, <bil at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Let me
> know if the gc protection functions are too slow --
> internally in s7, I sometimes use the scheme stack
> for quick GC protection, especially when I can't
> guarantee I'll reach the unprotect code -- that
> process could be exported.

When using  s7_gc_unprotect_at instead of just s7_gc_unprotect,
the GC protection functions are probably more than fast enough
for my usage.

Regarding big numbers, I wonder if I should compile with gmp.
It feels safer not to risk losing accuracy. But are calculations
slower with gmp if you don't use big numbers? I.e. will (+ 1 1)
and (+ 1.1 1.5) always run equally fast whether you use
libgmp or not?