[CM] clm, slime, reverb

James Hearon j_hearon at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 20 10:24:57 PST 2013

Hi,
For explanation or reverb.  Thank you for that info. I'm still trying to understand what it means by example.  I don't think I quite have it yet.  My try below just seems to be increasing gain but not creating reverb.  I also looked at locsig explanation in the clm manual, but that's a bit beyond me to start.  I just need a simple understanding of how reverb is working in ins design to help get started.  Are there any simple examples around?  I've grepped thru clm-4 and snd but don't see much by way of example for nrev, jcrev, or rev2.

I'm getting hung up on the out-any part with trying to add reverb to the stream.  For ins with complex outputs a clearer example of wet/dry would be appreciated to see how it's done.

re: The reverb instrument has to send to the *reverb* output stream an
appropriately scaled version of its main output, something like:

(outa i (* sample reverb-amount) *reverb*)

What clm does is, after with-sound processes the whole "note list" that
is its body, it runs the reverb instrument that you supply over the
reverb soundfile that it generated as part of running the body and then
merges the output of that instrument run into the main soundfile generated.
///////////

(definstrument simple-saw (beg dur frq amp)
  (let* ((os (make-sawtooth-wave frq))
      (start (floor (* beg *srate*)))
       (end (+ start (floor (* dur *srate*))))
     )
    (run
     (loop for i from start to end do
       (outa i (* amp (sawtooth-wave os)) )
       ))))

(definstrument simple-sawRev (beg dur frq amp)
  (let* ((os (make-sawtooth-wave frq))
      (start (floor (* beg *srate*)))
       (end (+ start (floor (* dur *srate*))))
         (rev-amount .9)
     )
    (run
     (loop for i from start to end do
(outa i (* (* amp (sawtooth-wave os)) rev-amount) *reverb* )
       ))))

(with-sound (:reverb nrev :reverb-data (:reverb-factor 0.5 :lp-coeff .45) :channels 2
:srate 48000) (simple-saw 0 1 220.0 0.3)
              (simple-sawRev 2 1 220.0 0.3))