[CM] slime cm-2.10 and ASDF

Ralf Mattes rm at seid-online.de
Tue Jul 30 13:22:59 PDT 2013

Forward this to the list - I hope that's o.k. with Bill:

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 13:01:26 -0700, Bill Schottstaedt wrote
> >There is no such thing as "slime's asdf".
>
> The comp.lang.lisp thread on this says to remove ~.slime's
> asdf.  And cl-asdf as well.  I actually don't know anything about it.

Ah, I fear the thread is a bit unclear here. When refering to  ~.slime it
should mention that that directory only caches fasl files. So there's no
independent asdf code here. Removing asdf related files form  ~.slime
just makes shure no stale fasls are loaded (but they shouldn't be loaded
anyway - Lisp should detect that the fasl is stale).

cl-asdf isn't slime either, it's the name of a debian package that distributes
asdf. Frankly, I would stay away from installing debian's common lisp packages.
Often out-of-date and/or messing with the system.
Really, for common lisp theses days quicklisp will provide stable systems  (usually
not older than 1-2 month), automatic download of dependencies and per-user installation.

Cheers, RalfD