[CM] slime cm-2.10 and ASDF

Ralf Mattes rm at seid-online.de
Tue Aug 6 15:07:51 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 10:58:26PM +0100, Torsten Anders wrote:
> On 6 Aug 2013, at 21:47, Ralf Mattes <rm at seid-online.de> wrote:

> >> i was never able to do much with lisp works,  i think the lisp heap was limited in their free version or something like that. you might try compiling in one pass then loading in another, but i think i tried that and it didn't work or help much. does pwgl only run in lisp works?? oy..
> >
> > ... veh! Indeed - one of the reasons I wouldn't touch that system - to dependend on a single implementation[1].
>
> I must confess I share your hesitation, but the PWGL (and OpenMusic) guys  have good reasons to use this proprietary system. They really tried different solutions (in particular the IRCAM team), but having a Lisp program with really heavy graphics on multiple platforms is greatly simplified by LW. Once you played around with PWGL only a short while you will quickly see how involved its graphics are.

Yes, I recall a presentation at the ELS in Hamburg. Portable GUIs are tricky, I'm currently using common-qt as my
gui-du-jour (with some modifications, so I can design/build with QT-Creators gui designer). I had no need for
sophisticated graphics so far, but Qt guis should be as performant as LW guis (have a look at the SuperCollider
guis).
So, what is the Licence for PWGL itself? When I asked in Hamburg (a few years ago) the answer wasn't really clear
(something like: It might be opensource later ...).
Systems that are distributed as fasls/libs need constant maintainance. What if the university runs out of money/interest?

Cheers, RalfD