[CM] slippery chicken release

Torsten Anders torsten.anders at beds.ac.uk
Sat May 26 16:47:10 PDT 2012

Dear Michael and others,

Let me assure you that I understand your position. After all, I have been clearly focussed myself on working with and developing text-based programming systems for > 10 years (including CM, SuperCollider, and for ~ 10 year now developing Strasheela). I certainly do not want to use a patching language myself for writing any program that is only slightly more complex.

On the other hand, I assume you will agree that certain information including musical information such as chord, scales, rhythms, pitch sequences, motifs, etc. are far more easy to read in a graphic representation (i.e. common music notation) than in a textual format. If you generate all such information algorithmically, and only want to read but never edit such information, then a purely textual programming system with some music notation output (e.g., via Lilypond) is certainly fine.

However, I think it is highly useful to integrate manual and machine composition, e.g., by specifying certain motifs or harmonies manually, but then arrange them algorithmically (or vice versa). This can of course be done textually (and all of us here are likely doing that all the time). However, I would really like to see and edit, e.g., my motif definitions in common music notation (I guess you know from experience what I am talking about :). I am therefore now seriously considering to integrate my system Strasheela into OpenMusic / PWGL so that I can use its score editors etc. (even though it is not even defined in Lisp). I will still do my actually programming with a textual language, but I think for using the resulting programs a graphical user interface can be beneficial. Besides, the system (or at least some of its applications) may become useful for others.

Best wishes,
Torsten