[CM] slippery chicken release

Michael Edwards michael.edwards at ed.ac.uk
Fri May 25 03:36:51 PDT 2012

Hi István,

> Well, from what I can gather slippery chicken uses a 2.6 version of

That's right.

> Common Music. Great piece of software, by the way :)

Thanks.  It's a monster.  Hope it's going to be useful to some people here.

> What I would be interested in knowing is why you chose this older
> version instead of Common Music 3. Was it because you started working

Because afaik CM3 is now no longer in Common Lisp but in Scheme.

> on slippery chicken before 3.0 came out, or was it because you

That's true too.

> preferred to work in Common Lisp instead of Scheme. Or did 3.0 bring
> in some changes that didn't play well with the design of slippery
> chicken?

It really just was a language thing.  Having worked on SC in CLOS
since 2000 it wouldn't be a simple thing to port it.  I haven't looked
into CLOS->Scheme in any detail but when I did a while ago it didn't
seem trivial.  Rick did it though (and Bill too from Common Lisp at
least, I assume) so I'd be interested in the process. Certainly the
embedding potential of Scheme is very attractive.

> I am asking because I am planning on working on a music and sound
> editor/composition environment for my graduation thesis next year, and
> am thinking of using Common Music as a component.

Well the thing to bear in mind is that I don't see CM and SC as being
the same beast at all.  AFAIK CM is now really aimed at real-time algo
comp whereas SC is very much not real-time and is focussed on
generating complete pieces in quite a specific way.  I'm very curious
to find out if that particular way is too restrictive for other
composers or not.

Cheers, Michael