[CM] s7 on bare metal Blackfin DSP board?

Matti Koskinen mjkoskin at kolumbus.fi
Sat Jun 23 12:39:58 PDT 2012

On 23.6.2012 21:50, Bill Schottstaedt wrote:
> I meant 6502.  I just checked the current s7, and with a
> small heap I can run in about 8Mbytes "VSS" (in ps),
> 1.8MBytes "RSS" -- I'm never sure what those numbers
> refer to.

Yeah, those were the days! I even found a Lisp written in Pascal, and
got me a Turbopascal, compiled and running from 64K (*K*) memory. Few
recursions and the memory was exhausted more rapidly than the processor
clock.

And back in college,  a Data General (can't remember the model) 16-bit
minicomputer had 4k memory and ran assembler and Basic.  It had punched
tape TTY and to compile assembler, two reads of the tape  had to be
made. First the symbol table and then code generation. Now 8GB is nothing.

Bfin is 32-bit fixed point processor, so the int should work.
Bfin-elf-gcc is normal Gnu C, math lib is ok, math_bf.h has some
optimizations and libbfdsp contains fract16/fract32 filters, ffts,
convolutions etc. On ucLinux there are ports of ogg, vorbis, mplayer
etc.  Linux port would most possibly be trivial, but bare metal needs
something to replace all the syscalls.

A nice summer project...

-matti