[CM] vst on linux?

Fri Nov 18 15:50:21 PST 2011

On 11/18/2011 03:20 PM, Heinrich Taube wrote:
> i was assuming i could just build juce's  plugin host on linux to use
> with vst plugins but ...can someone tell me if its possible to
> actually build the vst sdk on linux? i always thought vst was fine
> there  but after downloading the most recent  sdk (3) and also the 2.4
> version i dont see any linux support , not even a makefile!  googling
> around doesnt yield much confidence....

vst support can be made to work on linux, I think you just need one
header file and that's it (and then of course you need the software that
uses it).

But its license is incompatible with free licenses such as the gpl. You
can't (legally) distribute software under the gpl that uses the vst
header file. That is why you don't see a packaged version of ardour that
includes that support. There is a header file out there that claims to
be reverse engineered (at least part of the features) but I don't know
if it was done cleanly and I have not looked at it in any detail.