[CM] Arno in Grace?

Dr. des. Alan Fabian alan.fabian at uni-hildesheim.de
Wed Dec 28 10:15:23 PST 2011

Dear Ralf, dear Torsten,

thank you for your helpful Emails! So Arno is too old, I see. That's a
pitty.

A few weeks ago I studied Strasheela and after installing Mozart and
studying Oz a bit I decided to go back to Lisp - it's my favorite
language, I am used to it. That's why I am so enthusiastic about Grace
and all these helpful tools for converting data to music and why I had a
lot of hope in Arno.
I programmed already basics with CSP in Lisp, so now it looks like I
have to go on that way. Your disseration about csp Torsten and your
source-code as well will be very helpful on that way (the article you
recomended I know already, but thank's).

Best wishes to you both,
and again thank's for the imediate answers,
Alan

Am 28.12.2011 16:29, schrieb Torsten Anders:
> Dear Alan,
>
> Thank you for your interest in my old CM extension Arno. As you already noticed, this software is now more than 10 years old -- I wrote it as part of my master thesis for CM 1.4. This program was the first constraint-based system for music composition I designed, and the lessons I learnt there informed my later projects in this area, in particular the design of Strasheela (http://strasheela.sourceforge.net). More specifically, the order in which decisions are made during the search process in Arno is inefficient for most cases, except canons. Many Strasheela-related publications are available at my website (http://cmr.soc.plymouth.ac.uk/tanders/writing.htm).
>
> If you are interested in using constraint programming for music, there exist a number of systems besides my Strasheela. I attached a recent survey paper of this field for your convenience. A very interesting system not yet included in this survey is PWMC by Orjan Sandred, there is a CMJ paper discussing it [1].
>
> Nevertheless, if you really want to use Arno then its source is still available at http://cmr.soc.plymouth.ac.uk/tanders/software.htm, together with a related ICMC article and my mentioned thesis (in German).
>
> Please do not hesitate to contact me in case of further questions.
>
> Best wishes,
> Torsten
>
> [1] Sandred, Örjan. 2010. “PWMC, a Constraint-Solving System for Generating Music Scores.” Computer Music Journal 34 (2) (June 1): 8-24.
>
> PS: In case you want to install Strasheela you may run into some compilation difficulties on a 64-bit machine (I just did not have any time to update this installation description, due to my new lectureship -- just let me know if you have any problems).
>
> --
> Dr Torsten Anders
> Course Leader, Music Technology
> University of Bedfordshire
> Park Square, Room A315
> http://www.torsten-anders.de
>

> On 28 Dec 2011, at 13:42, rm at tuxteam.de wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 02:04:31PM +0100, rm at tuxteam.de wrote:
>>> This program most likely requires/runs with CM2 - Grace is CommonMusic3,
>>> IIRC. To get your copy of CommonMusic2 you need to check out the cm2
>>> branch from the subversion repository. What OS are you using? On
>>> Linux/OSX it's as simple as (in a terminal):
>>>
>>> $ svn co https://commonmusic.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/commonmusic/branches/cm2
>>>
>>> (all in one line). That will fetch the code from the repository and put
>>> it into a directoy/folder 'cm2'.
>>
>> Gosh, I just flipped through the Disertation on Alan - that mentions
>> Stella - so even CM2 will be to "new". I think I have Stella on some
>> archive disk but you'd need some old  vsion of Allegro Lisp or
>> Macintosh Common Lisp  (the later is available as Open Source now, but
>> you need some old Mac hardware or an emulator. Doable but tricky ... ,-)

> [...]

Dr. des. Alan Fabian
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter
Institut für Musik und Musikwissenschaft
Stiftung Universität Hildesheim
Marienburger Platz 22
31141 Hildesheim