[CM] Arno in Grace?

Torsten Anders torsten.anders at beds.ac.uk
Wed Dec 28 07:29:29 PST 2011

Dear Alan,

Thank you for your interest in my old CM extension Arno. As you already noticed, this software is now more than 10 years old -- I wrote it as part of my master thesis for CM 1.4. This program was the first constraint-based system for music composition I designed, and the lessons I learnt there informed my later projects in this area, in particular the design of Strasheela (http://strasheela.sourceforge.net). More specifically, the order in which decisions are made during the search process in Arno is inefficient for most cases, except canons. Many Strasheela-related publications are available at my website (http://cmr.soc.plymouth.ac.uk/tanders/writing.htm).

If you are interested in using constraint programming for music, there exist a number of systems besides my Strasheela. I attached a recent survey paper of this field for your convenience. A very interesting system not yet included in this survey is PWMC by Orjan Sandred, there is a CMJ paper discussing it [1].

Nevertheless, if you really want to use Arno then its source is still available at http://cmr.soc.plymouth.ac.uk/tanders/software.htm, together with a related ICMC article and my mentioned thesis (in German).

Please do not hesitate to contact me in case of further questions.

Best wishes,
Torsten

[1] Sandred, Örjan. 2010. “PWMC, a Constraint-Solving System for Generating Music Scores.” Computer Music Journal 34 (2) (June 1): 8-24.

PS: In case you want to install Strasheela you may run into some compilation difficulties on a 64-bit machine (I just did not have any time to update this installation description, due to my new lectureship -- just let me know if you have any problems).

--
Dr Torsten Anders
Course Leader, Music Technology