[CM] sharps & flats from CM key

David Psenicka dpsenick at gmail.com
Fri May 14 06:47:18 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 17:43 +1200, Adam wrote:

> Here below I came to after running into trouble with Fomus
> mixing sharps and flats within the one key.   I thought if
> I defined the scales closely, then that would correct it.
>
> It doesn't, and whether there's a hack or hook in Fomus for
> fixing this common problem later on, I don't know.
>
> For example in the E major output below, is there any way to
> coerce the output to use only sharps ?  And only flats for F
> Bf Ef Af etc ?
>
> Perhaps an option for "note", such as
> (note 34 :coerce f)   ; use bf1
> (note 34 :coerce s)  ; use as1

With fomus you can force it with `:acc "f"' or `:acc "s"' or `:acc '("n"
"f")' if you want to give it a choice

The current accidental spelling algorithm is meant to be a
general-purpose solution for a wide range of musical styles and doesn't
take into account whether the music is tonal or not, or what key it's
in...  At some point in the future there will be more options and an
algorithm written specifically to handle key signatures.

> e3 fs3 af3 a3 b3 df4 ef4 e4 fs4 af4 a4 b4 df5 ef5 e5
>
> c3 d3 e3 f3 g3 a3 b3 c4 d4 e4 f4 g4 a4 b4 c5
> df3 ef3 f3 fs3 af3 bf3 c4 df4 ef4 f4 fs4 af4 bf4 c5 df5
> e3 fs3 af3 a3 b3 df4 ef4 e4 fs4 af4 a4 b4 df5 ef5 e5  <---

At any rate, I ran the output above through fomus as a test and got the
attached .pdf...  fomus does its best to make diatonic intervals and use
sharps/flats in ascending/descending lines where appropriate