[CM] midifile import

Orm Finnendahl o.finnendahl at mh-freiburg.de
Wed Mar 18 04:32:41 PDT 2009

Hi,

 using the midifile functions of cm2 to import a file exported from
the Muse Sequencer I ran into the following problems:

1. The time signature Meta event has length 2, which throws an error
   (bytes 3 and 4 are simply left out).

2. NoteOffs are coded as NoteOns with velocity 0.

Rosegarden can deal with these things so I'm unsure whether Muse
exports are valid or not (even if I couldn't find anything about 2
byte time signatures anywhere). As the changes are considerably small
I wanted to let you know and would vote for being less strict about
the time signature format and reinterpreting the NoteOn/Velocity 0
into NoteOff Messages (as this is common practice in communication
between devices anyway).

Below are the respective outputs of the MIDI Track Data (in Hex) of
the same sequence in both forms to see the difference.

Yours,
Orm

BTW: I also left a message on muse-devel (hope that doesn't start
flames ;-)

with NoteOff as NoteOn/Velocity0:

;dtime noteon      pitch  velo
00      90           1B    7F