[CM] cm2 setup on WinXP

Heinrich Taube taube at uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 16 09:29:49 PDT 2009

> I'd like to keep on with Emacs, Common Lisp, and I'm quite
> happy with CM 2.10 if that was the last version.
> I'll certainly be using Grace in the future, but separately.
>
> It seems a simple error in my install.  I can't seem to get
> a working result by following Install.html and Emacs.html.
>
> As you know, Emacs *with Slime* is the only way to go.
> Maybe CM 2.10 or CM 2.4 works OK under just CLisp alone,
> but its hard for me to tell. I can persist and check that if
> you wish. It seems something about the Emacs config.

Hi there were some changes in recent slimes that caused things to not
work but ive made fixes to cm/etc/emacs/cm.el and checked them into
svn. I just reinstalled cm2 + clisp + emacs +  slime from scratch on
my windows box and I dont have any problems now. So rather than try to
fix you problem Ill just tell you what I did.  its basically a two
step proccess; (1) installing lisp and (2) configureing emacs

Install clisp and cm on my local machine ( c: /Software/cm2 and c:/
Sofware/clisp-2.47)

1 svn'ed the lastest cm2 from today ( REV 1688 / cm 2.11.3)  into my
C:/Software folder:
	svn co https://commonmusic.svn.sf.net/svnroot/commonmusic/branches/cm2
2 dowloaded and installed the latest clisp (clisp-2.47-win32-mingw-
big.zip) into c:/Software/clisp-2.47
3 double-clicked C:/Software/clisp-2.47/install.bat to install clisp
and typed 'y' to add a GNU-CLISP desktop icon to start clisp
4 double-clicked the GNU-CLISP icon on my desktop to start clisp
5 Loaded cm.lisp to build the system and to save cm2/bin/cm-clisp.bat :
       (load "/Software/cm2/src/cm.lisp")
6 Quit Clisp

At this point CM is compiled and it saved a CM startup script in cm2/
bin:

	C:/Software/cm2/bin/cm-clisp.bat

Configuring Emacs

1. downloaded the latest cvs snapshot of Slime into c:/Software/
slime-2009-03-16
2. Started Emacs and edited my Emacs init file:   ~/.emacs
3. Added the following to the top of my .emacs file. you have to
change the directories for your machine:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/Software/slime-2009-03-16/")
(require 'slime)
(slime-setup '(slime-repl))
(setq cm-program "/Software/cm2/bin/cm-clisp.bat")
(add-to-list 'load-path "/Software/cm2/")
(load "etc/emacs/cm.el")
(enable-cm-commands)

4. saved .emacs file, the quit and restarted Emacs to make the changes
to .emacs take effect.

3. Started CM by typeing
	M-x:  cm

Cm starts up in a slime repl window.  I can eval stuff from a .lisp
buffer without problems.