[CM] [OT] jack and common lisp

Luke Crook luke at balooga.com
Wed Oct 15 11:54:13 PDT 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:57:52 -0700, Vytautas Jancauskas
<unaudio at gmail.com> wrote:

> hat is the best
> way to have audio playback from SBCL? I have written a set of jack
> bindings
> with cffi and they sorta work except that sbcl spazzes out all the time
> many callbacks? garbage collector?). The way i did it is to define a
> callback that simply generates a single tone and then register that wih
> jack. Does anyone has experience with this? How would you do something
> like
> that. I'm using linux btw. Thanks in advance.

I maintain a set of CFFI bindings to the SDL_mixer library. SDL_mixer also
uses a callback mechanism into a Lisp process (SBCL on Linux in my case)
to fill the audio buffers. Seems to work on Linux just fine. It is a
little flakey on win32, but I think this is due to the SBCL/win32 port not
supporting threads 100%. The bindings work fine in Lispworks and CLISP
though. How often is the callback called?

- Luke