[CM] analysis software

Landspeedrecord landspeedrecord at gmail.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:39:37 -0400

------=_Part_14361_32507652.1205876377735

I can field this one!

There is no tonal information in MIDI files.  It is performance data... this
note was played at this moment for this long, plus some other odds and ends
like pitch bend amounts and other "controller" information - like on a MIDI
flute... breath information.

Bottom line... the only time there is a tone is when the MIDI file is played
back by a synthesizer (hardware or software) that takes the performance data
and simulates the performance as if it actually occured on that particular
instrument.  Point being... the instrument being simulated generates the
tonal data NOT the midi file.  You can dial up any instrument on a decent
synth.

You could record the output of the synthesizer and then analyze the audio
file created by the process but that is kind of cheating.

Lastly... MIDI has a format called GM MIDI that assigns specific sounds to
the different parts of the MIDI file so that the file will play back with a
specific instrument... usually a piano but there can be drums etc...  in
that case you could again analyze the output of the synth playing back the
MIDI file but you would need to keep in mind the variation between different
software synthesizers on different platforms and companies etc... in which
case any analysis you did of the resulting tonal information of the audio
file would be somewhat relative but in the ballpark because pianos
definately have a tonal "range" that makes them sound distinctly like a
piano.

Now, if you wanted to, in Common Music and CLM you might be able to do the
MIDI sound generation and analysis all in the same software environment but
again, technically you would NOT be doing a tonal analysis of the MIDI file.

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Timothy Ernest Johnson <tejohnso@uiuc.edu>
wrote:

> Could anybody out there point me to software that does tonal analysis of
> MIDI files?
>
> Tim
>
> Dr. Timothy E. Johnson
> Adjunct Faculty, Lewis University
> Adjunct Faculty, Columbia College Chicago

"My favorite comedy is comedy where nothing is achieved and there is no
point," Conan O'Brien

------=_Part_14361_32507652.1205876377735

I can field this one!<br><br>There is no tonal information in MIDI files.&nbsp; It is performance data... this note was played at this moment for this long, plus some other odds and ends like pitch bend amounts and other &quot;controller&quot; information - like on a MIDI flute... breath information.<br>
Could anybody out there point me to software that does tonal analysis of MIDI files?<br>
Tim<br>
Dr. Timothy E. Johnson<br>
Adjunct Faculty, Lewis University<br>
Adjunct Faculty, Columbia College Chicago<br>