[CM] clm and snd questions

Funny Zen funny_zen at yahoo.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 01:39:04 -0800 (PST)

--0-687082019-1199439544=:46145

Hi everybody in the list,

since I'm very new to musical software under linux (and linux generally) and especially planetccrma, I'll start my questions trying to make clear some things that I'm not sure that I've understood well.

I'm trying to learn Common Lisp Music.
CLM is not a language itself but a package / library that in order to compile and run needs a Lisp/Common Lisp environment (maybe only Common Lisp?). Is that correct?

I've found in the web that a good starting point for learning common lisp is SBCL, so I've installed it. If I'm not mistaken it works only through command line so it does not have its own environment. Is there any environment for SBCL and is it a good choice for common lisp and especially clm?

I got also confused about what is scheme. If I understood well it is a language itself, but what is the connection with lisp? Is it an implementation of lisp? I tried to explore scheme using DrScheme but I didn't see any connection with common lisp, when choosing language there is no such choice. And what's the connection of snd with scheme? I ask since in CLM home page is stated that "It runs in a number of lisps or as a part of Snd (using Scheme or Ruby)".

And as for snd, I had a problem running it. Although I've installed it successfully, there comes an error message when I try to run it "Failure in executing secondary process (procedure) 'snd' - No such file or folder" (translating from Greek so sorry for any inaccuracy). Does anybody know what may be wrong?

Sorry for all of these questions and my ignorance, although I do have experience in other programming languages I have no idea about lisp and searching in the web with all these thousands of informations, although helpful, is confusing for a newbie. So I'll be glad if anybody answers even to some of my questions.

Thanks in advance

FunnyZen

--0-687082019-1199439544=:46145

      <hr size=1>Never miss a thing.  <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51438/*http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs"> Make Yahoo your homepage.</a>