[CM] GRACE on WinXP - supported features?

Rick Taube taube@uiuc.edu
Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:05:23 -0500

> hello,
> i installed the binary distribution of grace on my xp machine.
> i would like to do some realtime stuff with cm (controlling
> external synths and/or other software).
> is this possible with grace on WinXP?

Hi, The idea is to implement RTS functionality inside Grace itself,
ie use callbacks from JUCE threads into lisp, rather than from an
(external) lib like librts. Ditto MIDI and OSC: these could be
supported in a cross platform way by Grace (JUCE  really) instead of
by separate libs that may or may not work on random platforms.
But Grace is still just a baby and work is slow due to the start of
semester and complicated by Lisp (as usual).

> to be more specific:
>
> can i use PORTMIDI?
> can i use RTS?
> can i use OSC?
>
> if yes - how?

the short answer is no, not now with the existing software: currently
only clisp works on windows, it might be possible to load portmidi
and/or osc but it would probably require some windows porting. rts
will never work on windows. really the only hope for a cross-platform
solution is to have Grace do all the IO/scheduling and lisp simply
transfer algorithmic data to-from Grace