[CM] Newbie learning. . . . CM / CLM-3 / SND / Scheme???

Bill Schottstaedt bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue, 29 May 2007 14:22:50 -0700

>  I want to ask whether snd-ruby has same
> possibilities as guile version? I suppose there is nothing like
> rt_compile in my snd-ruby; also I wonder if something like snd-ls is
> achievable with ruby? Or 3D spectrogram from the manual (grfsnd.html)?
>
> Main question is: if I stay with ruby (which is IMHO easier to
> understand) won't I miss any functionality? What with connection to
> cm/cmn?

Mike Scholz is the expert, but I can make a few vague comments.  The
3D graphics only depends on opengl -- the picture in grfsnd.html was
made using the transform dialog and the two color/orientation
dialogs.  Most of the scheme stuff exists in ruby, so I don't think you'll
find any missing functionality, and having active ruby-snd users will
certainly help us find  any we've missed!  cm is currently
scheme/lisp specific, but I think the cmn section that Snd uses
does work -- the music notation symbols are in musglyphs.rb.
I don't think rt-compile exists for ruby, but there was an "inline"
package of some kind that Mike made for sndlib/clm.  I personally
use scheme, mainly out of lumpish habit -- I've been writing lisp
code for about 3 decades, so it has become second nature.  But Mike and
I do want the other two versions of Snd (Forth and Ruby) to be just
as useful, so I'd encourage you to go ahead.