[CM] Real Time Safe (Snd-9.1)

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen@notam02.no
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:29:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007, Esben Stien wrote:

> "Kjetil S. Matheussen" <k.s.matheussen@notam02.no> writes:
>
> > If you load rt-player.scm you will have a real time audio thread.
>
> Yes, running snd-ls now, so I guess that is loaded, but I still get
> frequent crackles. I also hear distortion when I draw a region with
> the mouse. I know that the audio thread is real time, but the GUI
> thread is also real time, even with rt-player.scm loaded, to my
> understanding.

If the gui thread runs with realtime priority, that means that you are
using snd's player and not the one in rt-player.scm.

If you are only using the player in rt-player.scm, the gui does not run
with realtime priority.

Besides, the realtime priority of the gui is lower than any of the sound
player threads, so its impossible that it can interrupt the sound and
cause crackling.

What happens is that you are using filtering, the expand function, ladspa
plugins, or something else which the rt-player does not handle.
Snd's player is used instead when that happens. Either that, or you are
not playing using either space, p, or the mouse scroll wheel, which have
all been configured to use (rt-snd-play) instead of (play).