[CM] Windows and Lisp for Common Music

terrence.x.brannon@jpmchase.com terrence.x.brannon at jpmchase.com
Wed, 19 Dec 2007 15:35:12 -0500

--=_alternative 0071165B852573B6_=

Ok clisp-2.4.3 did indeed generate a .bat file, but it looks as follows,
so I fixed it:
:: Windows startup script for Common Music
@echo off
C:\Program Files\clisp-2.43/full/lisp.exe -B C:\Program Files\clisp-2.43
-M C:\Program Files\clisp-2.43/full/lispinit.mem -N C:\Program
Files\clisp-2.43\locale -K full -x "(progn (load
\"C:/cygwin/home/W049945/prg/lisp-asdf/cm/src/cm.lisp\" :verbose nil)
(cm))" -repl %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

Here is my best attempt to fix it:
:: Windows startup script for Common Music
@echo off
"C:\Program Files\clisp-2.43\full\lisp.exe" -B "C:\Program
Files\clisp-2.43" -M "C:\Program Files\clisp-2.43\full\lispinit.mem" -N
"C:\Program Files\clisp-2.43\locale" -K full -x "(progn (load
\"C:\\cygwin\\home\\W049945\\prg\\lisp-asdf\\cm\\src\\cm.lisp\\" :verbose
nil) (cm))" -repl %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

but then I got:

C:\cygwin\home\W049945\prg\lisp-asdf\cm\bin>cm
GNU CLISP: -x with lisp-file is invalid: ':verbose'

GRACE is awesome! Getting to listen to piano phase by Reich anytime I want
is inexpressably awesome... he's one of the greats.

--
Terrence Brannon - SID W049945
614-213-2475 (office)

Rick Taube <taube@uiuc.edu>
12/19/2007 02:58 PM

terrence.x.brannon@jpmchase.com
cc
cmdist@ccrma.stanford.edu
Subject
Re: [CM] Windows and Lisp for Common Music

> Well...
> I set my Lisp program to clisp and then sbcl, but in both cases, I
> get an error trying to run cm.sh, which is not surprising based on
> the contents of that file - it is a Unix shell script.

on xp you will need to generate the cm.bat file. You do this by
starting CLISP and then loading the cm.lisp file.

                 C:> clisp
                 [1]> (load "/path/to/cm/src/cm.lisp")

that should create the file

                 /path/to/cm/bin/cm.bat

you can use that to start cm from the shell or via slime (better look
at the contents of cm.bat first to see if it looks right...)
To start CM in Emacs with slime loaded do:

                 M-: (setq inferior-lisp-command "/path/to/cm/bin/cm.bat")
                 M-x slime

OR add this in your .emacs file:

(require 'slime)
(slime-setup)
(load "/path/to/cm/etc/emacs/cm.el")
(setq cm-program "/path/to/cm/bin/cm.bat")

; uncomment if you want to use sal
; (load "/Lisp/cm/etc/emacs/sal-mode.el")

(enable-cm-commands)

with these inits in effect you can do
                 M-x cm

and you should get CM running in CLISP a buffer. You should also be
able to generate a cm.bat file from in SBCL/WIndows, i tried last
summer but WinSBCL was so flakey i gave up and threw it out. THis is
why im getting out of (Common Lisp) develpment, its simply too
difficult to get anything working everywhere or to encorpoprate
graphics.

> Also, I googled and found out the website of Grace - http://
> pinhead.music.uiuc.edu/~hkt/grace/doc/ - but still dont know
> exactly what it does or how it fits into the Common Music scheme of
> things.

Its a C++ app written in JUCE. It has two bindings, one to Common
Lisp and one to Chicken Scheme. If you are using Common Lisp/Common
Music, you can use Grace as a cross platform replacement for EMACS +
LISP + SLIME + COMMON MUSIC .  (Lets call this GraceCL.) In addition
to being cross-platform, GraceCL provides graphics, menus, a code
editor with syntax highlighting etc.

The "main" development path for Grace is a tight bundling with
CHicken Scheme, which provides realtime scheduling and allows for
direct port connections (MIDI for now) , again in a single, cross
platform environment.

Grace is still in its infancy but it is very usable. I taught my
Intro to Algorithic Composition with GraceCL last semseter, the class
was using Sal syntax and most of the class was composing interesting,
sophisticated music by the end of the semester.

> I presume at some point a link to some informative docs will be
> here - http://commonmusic.sourceforge.net/doc/cm.html#implementation

  sure, at some point. you can read the docs under the grace/doc tree
for more information. these are also available under Help menu in grace.

and affiliates.

copy format. Thank you.

disclosures relating to UK legal entities.
--=_alternative 0071165B852573B6_=

.bat file, but it looks as follows, so I fixed it:</font>
Music</font>
-B C:\Program Files\clisp-2.43 -M C:\Program Files\clisp-2.43/full/lispinit.mem
-N C:\Program Files\clisp-2.43\locale -K full -x &quot;(progn (load \&quot;C:/cygwin/home/W049945/prg/lisp-asdf/cm/src/cm.lisp\&quot;
:verbose nil) (cm))&quot; -repl %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9</font>
Music</font>
-B &quot;C:\Program Files\clisp-2.43&quot; -M &quot;C:\Program Files\clisp-2.43\full\lispinit.mem&quot;
-N &quot;C:\Program Files\clisp-2.43\locale&quot; -K full -x &quot;(progn
(load \&quot;C:\\cygwin\\home\\W049945\\prg\\lisp-asdf\\cm\\src\\cm.lisp\\&quot;
:verbose nil) (cm))&quot; -repl %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9</font>
':verbose'</font>
to piano phase by Reich anytime I want is inexpressably awesome... he's
one of the greats.</font>
Terrence Brannon - SID W049945<br>
614-213-2475 (office)<br>
614-213-3426 (fax)<br>
818-359-0893 (cell)<br>
Music</font></table>
&gt; Well...<br>
&gt; I set my Lisp program to clisp and then sbcl, but in both cases, I
&nbsp;<br>
&gt; get an error trying to run cm.sh, which is not surprising based on
&nbsp;<br>
&gt; the contents of that file - it is a Unix shell script.<br>
on xp you will need to generate the cm.bat file. You do this by &nbsp;<br>
starting CLISP and then loading the cm.lisp file.<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
C:&gt; clisp<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
[1]&gt; (load &quot;/path/to/cm/src/cm.lisp&quot;)<br>
that should create the file<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
/path/to/cm/bin/cm.bat<br>
you can use that to start cm from the shell or via slime (better look &nbsp;<br>
at the contents of cm.bat first to see if it looks right...)<br>
To start CM in Emacs with slime loaded do:<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
M-: (setq inferior-lisp-command &quot;/path/to/cm/bin/cm.bat&quot;)<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
M-x slime<br>
OR add this in your .emacs file:<br>
(require 'slime)<br>
(slime-setup)<br>
(load &quot;/path/to/cm/etc/emacs/cm.el&quot;)<br>
(setq cm-program &quot;/path/to/cm/bin/cm.bat&quot;)<br>
; uncomment if you want to use sal<br>
; (load &quot;/Lisp/cm/etc/emacs/sal-mode.el&quot;)<br>
(enable-cm-commands)<br>
with these inits in effect you can do<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
M-x cm<br>
and you should get CM running in CLISP a buffer. You should also be &nbsp;<br>
able to generate a cm.bat file from in SBCL/WIndows, i tried last &nbsp;<br>
summer but WinSBCL was so flakey i gave up and threw it out. THis is &nbsp;<br>
why im getting out of (Common Lisp) develpment, its simply too &nbsp;<br>
difficult to get anything working everywhere or to encorpoprate &nbsp;<br>
graphics.<br>
&gt; Also, I googled and found out the website of Grace - http:// <br>
&gt; pinhead.music.uiuc.edu/~hkt/grace/doc/ - but still dont know &nbsp;<br>
&gt; exactly what it does or how it fits into the Common Music scheme of
&nbsp;<br>
&gt; things.<br>
Its a C++ app written in JUCE. It has two bindings, one to Common &nbsp;<br>
Lisp and one to Chicken Scheme. If you are using Common Lisp/Common &nbsp;<br>
Music, you can use Grace as a cross platform replacement for EMACS + &nbsp;<br>
LISP + SLIME + COMMON MUSIC . &nbsp;(Lets call this GraceCL.) In addition
&nbsp;<br>
to being cross-platform, GraceCL provides graphics, menus, a code &nbsp;<br>
editor with syntax highlighting etc.<br>
The &quot;main&quot; development path for Grace is a tight bundling with
&nbsp;<br>
CHicken Scheme, which provides realtime scheduling and allows for &nbsp;<br>
direct port connections (MIDI for now) , again in a single, cross &nbsp;<br>
platform environment.<br>
Grace is still in its infancy but it is very usable. I taught my &nbsp;<br>
Intro to Algorithic Composition with GraceCL last semseter, the class &nbsp;<br>
was using Sal syntax and most of the class was composing interesting, &nbsp;<br>
sophisticated music by the end of the semester.<br>
&gt; I presume at some point a link to some informative docs will be &nbsp;<br>
&gt; here - http://commonmusic.sourceforge.net/doc/cm.html#implementation<br>
 &nbsp;sure, at some point. you can read the docs under the grace/doc tree
&nbsp;<br>
for more information. these are also available under Help menu in grace.<br>
</tt></font>
<P><hr size=1></P>
<P>
This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates.

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.

Please refer to http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures for disclosures relating to UK legal entities.
</P>
--=_alternative 0071165B852573B6_=--