[CM] WACM

David Cope howell@ucsc.edu
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:54:07 -0700

--============_-1035365635==_ma============

Dear Colleague,

I know that I've sent this message previously this year, but we still
have a couple of places available and we surely want good people to
fill those spots. If you are interested, or know someone who might be
interested, please encourage yourself or them to enroll as soon as
possible.

This summer, for the fifth consecutive year, we'll be offering the
Workshop in Algorithmic Computer Music (WACM) at UC Santa Cruz.
Student evaluations from past years have been uniformly positive and
we're excited about doing it again. One of the things the students
benefit most from is limiting the workshop to fifteen students, which
allows for a very high student/teacher ratio. This means, however,
that people applying later in the year may not get in. I'm sending
you this email to give you an opportunity to apply before our main
publicity goes out. I won't barrage you with details here (a general
blurb appears below), but if you're interested you can visit the
website, which is at:

http://summer.ucsc.edu/wacm

... and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any
questions. If you know anyone else who might benefit from the
workshop, please feel free to forward this message.

All best,

Dave Cope

The fifth Workshop in Algorithmic Computer Music (WACM) will take
place from June 25 through July 8, 2007 at the University of
California, Santa Cruz (UCSC). The workshop will be held at UCSC's
Music Center, which features state of the art facilities as well as
sweeping vistas of the Monterey Bay. David Cope, Paul Nauert, Peter
Elsea, and Soren Goodman will be among those on hand to teach and
advise workshop attendees. Participants will take classes on the
basic techniques of algorithmic composition and algorithmic music
analysis, learning and using the computer programming language Lisp.
Participants will create three significant software projects: a
Markov-based rules program, a genetic algorithm, and software modeled
on the Experiments in Musical Intelligence program. Music analysis
software and techniques will also be covered in depth. Many
compositional approaches will be discussed in detail including
rules-based techniques, data-driven models, genetic algorithms,
neural networks, fuzzy logic, mathematical modeling, and
sonification. Software programs such as Common Music, Max, Open
Music, and so on will also be presented and used.

The workshop is limited to 15 participants to ensure an excellent
student/teacher ratio..

The first two days of the workshop are optional and will cover basic
Lisp programming. Those individuals with extensive programming
experience and/or prior experience using Lisp may not need to attend
these first two days.

Each participant will receive a class reference manual, class
software in source code, and other printed and software tools and
guides relevant to the workshop's goals. Access to the world class
computer music facilities at UCSC will allow performances and special
lectures by invited guests. The workshop includes five daily hours of
individual computer time (with an advisor close at hand). Each week
will culminate in performances of participant works and presentations
of analysis and composition software. By the workshop's end, each
participant will have gained facility with Lisp, have written
compositional and analytical software programs, and be presented with
a CD of their compositions.

Prospective students must have an ability to read music and
understand basic music theory as well as have at least a basic
facility with computers (text editing, etc.). Students need not be
active musicians or programmers. Room and board is available on
campus if desired. 5 quarter units of credit is available.
--

To obtain Experiments in Musical Intelligence and other music by
David Cope go to http://www.spectrumpress.com.

For information on the fifth annual (2007) Workshop on Algorithmic
Computer Music (WACM) go to http://summer.ucsc.edu/wacm/.

David Cope
   Professor, Music Department
     Music Center, University of California, Santa Cruz
     Santa Cruz, CA 95064
     831 459-3417
     msgs: 831 459 2804
   fax: 831 459-5584
   website: http://arts.ucsc.edu/faculty/cope
   email:  howell@ucsc.edu
--============_-1035365635==_ma============

I know that I've sent this message previously this year, but we still
have a couple of places available and we surely want good people to
fill those spots. If you are interested, or know someone who might be
interested, please encourage yourself or them to enroll as soon as
possible.<br>
This summer, for the fifth consecutive year, we'll be offering the<i>
Workshop in Algorithmic Computer Music</i> (WACM) at UC Santa Cruz.
Student evaluations from past years have been uniformly positive and
we're excited about doing it again. One of the things the students
benefit most from is limiting the workshop to fifteen students, which
allows for a very high student/teacher ratio. This means, however,
that people applying later in the year may not get in. I'm sending
you this email to give you an opportunity to apply before our main
publicity goes out. I won't barrage you with details here (a general
blurb appears below), but if you're interested you can visit the
website, which is at:<br>
http://summer.ucsc.edu/wacm<br>
... and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any
questions. If you know anyone else who might benefit from the
workshop, please feel free to forward this message.<br>
All best,<br>
Dave Cope<br>
[...]
be presented and used.<br>
The workshop is limited to 15 participants to ensure an excellent
student/teacher ratio..<br>
The first two days of the workshop are optional and will cover basic
Lisp programming. Those individuals with extensive programming
experience and/or prior experience using Lisp may not need to attend
these first two days.<br>
Each participant will receive a class reference manual, class
software in source code, and other printed and software tools and
guides relevant to the workshop's goals. Access to the world class
computer music facilities at UCSC will allow performances and special
lectures by invited guests. The workshop includes five daily hours of
individual computer time (with an advisor close at hand). Each week
will culminate in performances of participant works and presentations
of analysis and composition software. By the workshop's end, each
participant will have gained facility with Lisp, have written
compositional and analytical software programs, and be presented with
a CD of their compositions.<br>
Prospective students must have an ability to read music and
understand basic music theory as well as have at least a basic
facility with computers (text editing, etc.). Students need not be
active musicians or programmers. Room and board is available on
campus if desired. 5 quarter units of credit is
available.</font></div>

To obtain Experiments in Musical Intelligence and other music by
David Cope go to http://www.spectrumpress.com.<br>
For information on the fifth annual (2007) Workshop on Algorithmic
Computer Music (WACM) go to http://summer.ucsc.edu/wacm/.<br>
David Cope<br>
&nbsp; Professor, Music Department<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Music Center, University of California, Santa
Cruz<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Santa Cruz, CA 95064<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 831 459-3417<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; msgs: 831 459 2804<br>
&nbsp; fax: 831 459-5584<br>
&nbsp; website: http://arts.ucsc.edu/faculty/cope<br>
&nbsp; email:&nbsp; howell@ucsc.edu</div>