[CM] there's a use for tanh!?

bill sack wsack@buffalo.edu
Thu, 25 May 2006 10:49:47 -0400

i've used tanh in CLM (and the tanh~ object in pd) to simulate the
"warm" distortion from analog circuits, e.g.: (outa i (* tanh my-signal
x)) with x determining the amount of distortion - a factor of 2 is a
slight warm-up and around 20 is on the way to square-wave-land (but
never really getting there as tanh * x will never = 1).

Richard Dudas (Max/MSP dev and all-'round good guy) introduced us to it
in the context of a quick and dirty, last-ditch method for avoiding
clipping at overloading dac objects in real-time environments (Max &
pd). good for keeping undergrad electronic music concerts on schedule ...

all of which is still not as interesting as fireflies ...