[CM] snd-gtk-alsa "alsa_audio_open: could not set rate to exactly 44100, set to 3200 instead"

Sebastian Tennant sebyte@smolny.plus.com
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:04:26 +0000

"Bill Schottstaedt" <bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> I don't know much about this issue, but perhaps this is helpful:
>
> http://linux.setcolor.de/ua-5/
>
> It has something about enabling 44100 srate.
>
> I also vaguely remember a discussion about alsa and usb devices in one of the
> linux audio lists.

Thanks for your helpful response Bill, but nothing I do seems to make
any difference.  The strange thing is the sound is fine with every other
application.  For instance, the alsa-aware app, alsaplayer:

  $ alsaplayer -i text -q ia.wav

 works fine with my existing ~/.asoundrc:

  #set Edirol UA-3FX as default hardware device for all alsa aware applications
  pcm.!default { type hw card 1 device 0 }
  ctl.!default { type hw card 1 device 0 }
  #for OSS apps (e.g., $ aoss realplay)
  pcm.dsp0 { type plug slave.pcm "hw:1,0" }

 as does the non-alsa-aware app, play (wrapper to sox):

  $ aoss play ia.wav

 that uses the pcm.dsp0

It's only snd (which doesn't work with aoss, and needs to be called
with SNDLIB_ALSA_DEVICE="hw:1,0") which has trouble setting the rate
correctly.

Hence I suspect the problem is with snd and not with alsa.

sdt