[CM] No Auto Connect

Tue, 28 Feb 2006 08:32:04 -0800

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 21:01 -0800, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> Esben Stien:
> >
> > Would be nice if SND could not connect to anything by default. This is
> > not proper for JACK applications.
>
> I completely disagree. I would think that about 99.999% of the
> users would prefer the ports to be autoconnected, and therefore
> its also the proper behaviour for most jack applications.
>
> It shouldn't be a big problem to make an option not to autoconnect
> though... Do you have a good reason why it shouldn't autoconnect?

"autoconnect" makes it (slightly?) harder to use snd in situations where
the destination (or source) of the audio stream is not the sound card.
It also ties the creation of input/output Jack ports to the capabilities
of the soundcard. Most Jack applications do not (by default)
autoconnect.

An option for that would be great...
-- Fernando