[CM] snd-gtk-alsa "alsa_audio_open: could not set rate to exactly 44100, set to 3200 instead"

Wed, 01 Feb 2006 17:47:33 -0800

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 01:00 +0000, Sebastian Tennant wrote:
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
[MUNCH]
> > so... that would seem to mean that the call was sucessfull (ie: a sample
> > rate was selected). Then you get the warning above (about the rate not
> > being exactly the same). But there is something very wrong at that
> > point, the actual rate reported by alsa is 0! So it is not surprising
> > that the next call fails and triggers the parameter dump. That would
> > seem to point to some inconsistency in alsa itself, the call should
> > either fail with an error return < 0, or it should set the frequency and
> > return > 0.
> >
> > What is exactly the hardware in hw:1?
>
> It's an Edirol UA-3FX USB audio I/O device.
>
> > Have you tried to tweak other parameters? In particular I would try:
> >
> > SNDLIB_ALSA_BUFFERS
> > SNDLIB_ALSA_BUFFER_SIZE
> >
> > set BUFFER_SIZE to < 1024, perhaps 512?
> > try with BUFFERS = 2 or 4
>
> OK, I will try this.
>
> > Try _not_ using the .asoundrc to see if that has any influence.
>
> If I don't use the ~./asoundrc then snd will use card 0; my internal
> soundcard and this works absolutely fine, but defeats the object.  I
> want to use the USB audio device, which works perfectly well with
> every other alsa-aware app, and oss apps too, (when I call them with
> the 'aoss' wrapper).

I was just suggesting you try it out without the .asoundrc file, not
that you make that your permanent setup (ie: temporarily
remove .asoundrc, use snd with plughw:1 and see what happens - I don't
really expect changes but you never know).

-- Fernando