[CM] cm cvs, portmidi question

R. Mattes rm@seid-online.de
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:52:08 +0100

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 13:40 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 09:40 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 20:23 -0600, Rick Taube wrote:
> > > im almost postive that is not possible to rescan in portmidi, the
> > > devices are read only one time when it is opened. i think this bites
> > > every user, it certainly has me.
> >
> > Wow... not very usable if you ask me. There has to be a way, right?
>
> If you don't have connections open you can, apparently, call:
>   (pm:terminate)
>   (pm:initialize)
> and then you'll see the new clients, if any.
> I tried to do that while I had rts going and the result was not
> pretty ;-) Tons of error messages scrolling by, I did not try to make
> sense of it, just quit the whole thing.

Don't ever do this with existing references to portmidi streams in the
running Lisp :-) Glancing over the code it looks like pm is just closing
the alsa sequencer and setting the descriptor table to NULL. Reopening
pm will then fill the descriptor table with new values and that most
likely will cause your coffee to freeze ...

 Cheers (and thank's for the tip with using Deb-Unstable as a portmidi
 source)

  RalfD

-- Fernando